Summary of lesson
In this lesson you learned about the various ways on how to frame and design a futures relevant project in research or for business. For example the Foresight Process Framework is a good foundation for projects that are concerned with strategy building. The Six Pillars of Futures Studies can help to set up an interesting and creative project design when the it is about social issues and the need for disruptive solutions. Further we briefly mentioned the Manoa School of Futures that includes the alternative futures (Continuation, Transformation, Discipline and Collapse) that can help when you want to work with very different types of scenarios. The concept of the “Gestaltungskompetenzen” is a mental-model utilzed also in Education for Sustainable Development and aims to empower individuals to shape their future.
Further you also were introduced to the three modes of orientation – especially the third mode is relevant when dealing with future questions. At last you found a collection of templates, helpful for experiences the ideas, concepts and approaches of Futures Studies.
References and further information
Papers and Articles
- Bishop, P. ; Hines, A. 2013. “Framework foresight: Exploring futures the Houston way” in Futures #51
- Candy, Stuart; Dunagan, Jake 2017. Designing an experiential scenario: The People Who Vanished, Futures, Vol: 86, pp 136-153
- Dannenberg, Sascha; Grapetin, Theresa 2016. Education for Sustainable Development – Learning for Transformation. The Example of Germany in Journal of Futures Studies
- de Haan, Gerhard 2006. “The BLK ‘21’ programme in Germany: a ‘Gestaltungskompetenz’‐based model for Education for Sustainable Development” in Routledge Environmental Education Research
- Inayatullah, Sohail 2008. “Six pillars: futures thinking for transforming”. In: Foresight 10/1. Emerald Group Publishing Limited: 4 – 21
- Kreibich, Rolf, Britta Oertel, and Michaela Wölk. 2011. Futures Studies and Future-Oriented Technology Analysis Principles, Methodology and Research. HIIG Discussion Paper Series Discussion Paper 2012-05. Questions. Principles, Methodology and Research Questions. Oct. 25, 2011.
- Ramos, Jose M. 2013. Forging the synergy between anticipation and innovation : the futures action model. Journal of Futures Studies, September 2013, 18(1): pp 85-106
- Ramos, José. 2017. Linking Foresight and Action: Toward a Futures Action Research, In The Palgrave International Handbook of Action Research. Rowell, Lonnie L., Catherine D. Bruce, Joseph M. Shosh, and Margaret M. Riel. pp 823-842
- Voros, Joseph 2003. “A generic foresight process framework”. In: Foresight 5/3. Emerald Publishing Ltd.: 10–21
- Voros, Joseph 2007. “On the philosophical foundations of futures research”. In: Knowing Tomorrow, How science deals with the future. Patrick van der Duin (Eds.). Eburon Academic Publishers: 69 – 90
Bell, Wendell, 1997. Foundations of Futures Studies Vol. I. Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Inayatullah, Sohail interviewed by Steven Gould on Futures Thinking and the Six Pillars of Futures Studies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=37&v=kC8eCp89bls
- Foresight toolkit – an encompassing paper on methods and facilitation in a foresight process